Last Updated on
Bisquick is a handy pantry ingredient that can be used to make quick baked goods like pancakes, biscuits, and dumplings. But with simple ingredients like flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening, you can easily make a homemade version. This gives you control over the ingredients while saving money.
One classic Bisquick recipe that my family loves is cheeseburger pie. It contains a biscuit-style topping over a tasty ground beef and veggie filling. I wanted to recreate this childhood favorite using my own homemade Bisquick mix. The result is a delicious, comforting casserole that comes together quickly.
Making your own Bisquick alternative only takes 5 minutes. All you need is flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. I like using high-quality ingredients like unbleached flour and coconut oil or butter for better flavor.
The beauty of having this mix on hand is that you can whip up quick breads, pancakes, dumplings, and of course – biscuit toppings for casseroles! It stores easily in the pantry for whenever you need it.
Why You’ll Love This Cheeseburger Pie
- It’s comfort food at its finest with a homemade twist. The savory ground beef and melty cheese paired with a flakey homemade biscuit topping is absolute perfection.
- Making your own biscuit mix allows you to control the ingredients. No artificial flavors or preservatives here!
- The recipe comes together quickly. You can have this hearty meal on the table in under an hour.
- It’s budget friendly and feeds a crowd! Just double the recipe for potlucks or large family dinners.
- Kids and picky eaters love this simple dish. It’s a great way to get them to eat veggies tucked into the ground beef.
- The homemade biscuit topping is divine. Flaky, buttery, and perfectly golden brown.
Tips for Making Cheeseburger Pie
- Use 90/10 ground beef for the best flavor and moisture. Do not use extra lean ground beef.
- Allow the biscuit dough to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes before putting it on top of the pie. This prevents it from getting too spread out.
- Bake the pie on the lower rack of your oven to help the bottom crust cook through.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing for cleaner slices.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, dried onions, shredded cheese, or chopped parsley.
- Swap the ground beef for ground turkey or vegetarian crumbles.
- Mix up the veggies by using corn, bell peppers, or your favorites.
All-purpose flour forms the base of the homemade Bisquick. For best results, use an unbleached all-purpose flour. The protein content helps create a light and flaky biscuit topping.
Baking powder gives the biscuit layer lift and makes it rise nicely. Be sure your baking powder is fresh and double acting for proper leavening.
A pinch of salt is essential for enhancing the flavors throughout the biscuits and filling. Use table salt or fine sea salt.
Shortening gives the distinctive texture and flakiness associated with Bisquick. Butter or coconut oil can also be used.
Lean ground beef provides plenty of meaty flavor and texture to the filling. 90% lean beef is ideal, but 80% lean would also work well.
Onion and Bell Pepper
Sautéed onions and bell peppers add aromatic flavor, color, and some veggie nutrition to the cheeseburger pie filling.
Sharp cheddar cheese integrated into the filling and sprinkled on top gives this pie its signature cheeseburger taste.
Milk helps bind together the biscuit dough so it bakes up light and tender. Any type of milk works including low-fat or non-dairy.
How to Make Cheeseburger Pie
Step 1 – Make the Homemade Bisquick Mix
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. It can be made ahead and stored in the pantry until ready to use.
Step 2 – Prepare the Filling
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions until softened, 3-5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add ground beef and cook until browned and cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain excess grease if needed.
Step 3 – Finish the Filling
Return beef mixture to skillet. Stir in bell pepper and seasonings. Cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese until melted. Transfer filling to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Step 4 – Make the Biscuit Topping
In a small bowl, stir together the Bisquick mix, milk, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil just until a dough forms. Drop spoonfuls of the dough over the filling. Spread into an even layer.
Step 5 – Bake the Pie
Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese over top and bake 2-3 minutes more. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
What to Serve with Cheeseburger Pie
While cheeseburger pie is filling and flavorful on its own, a few sides can round it out into a complete meal:
- French fries or tater tots are perfect for dipping into the yummy filling
- Coleslaw adds crunch and envisions the taste of a classic cheeseburger
- Extra pickles, lettuce, and tomato make fun garnishes
- Ketchup and mustard for drizzling over the top
- A simple green salad with vinaigrette dressing
- Corn on the cob provides sweetness and pairs well with beef
- Chili for an extra savory, comforting component
- Ground turkey or vegetarian crumbles for the beef
- Regular bisquick mix rather than homemade
- Whole milk instead of 2% milk
- Grated parmesan in place of cheddar
- Bell peppers can be swapped for any veggies you have on hand
- Pork sausage instead of ground beef
- Omit bell pepper and double up on the onions
- Use any type of cheese that melts well
What can I do if the filling is too runny?
Mix 1 tablespoon of flour into the filling to help thicken it up before adding to the crust.
My crust turned out dry and tough, how can I fix it?
Be very gentle when working the dough to avoid overmixing. And make sure not to roll it too thin which can cause it to toughen up during baking.
Is the dough supposed to be sticky?
Yes, biscuit dough is naturally a bit sticky. Add a sprinkle of flour as needed when rolling out to prevent sticking.
What kind of ground beef works best?
90% lean ground beef provides the best balance of fat and moisture, but 80% lean would work too. Avoid using super lean beef over 95% or it may become dry.
Can I double the recipe?
Absolutely! This cheeseburger pie doubles easily. Use a larger 3-quart baking dish and increase the bake time by 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it.
Can I freeze leftovers?
You sure can! Allow the casserole to cool completely then cover tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
What can I serve this for?
It’s perfect for dinner, potlucks, cookouts, game day, or anytime you need a hearty, crowd-pleasing meal. Kids and adults alike will devour it!
How do I reheat leftover pie?
Cover and reheat individual portions in the microwave until warmed through, 1-2 minutes. You can also reheat the whole pie in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes.
Homemade Bisquick Mix & Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
- Mixing bowls - 1 large, 1 small
- Measuring cups & spoons
- 9x13 baking dish
- Skillet for cooking the filling
- Fork or potato masher for breaking up the beef
- Oven for baking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening or butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt pepper, paprika
- 1 1/4 cups Homemade Bisquick Mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Make the Homemade Bisquick Mix by stirring together the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening until crumbly. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onions and bell pepper in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease.
- Return to skillet and stir in garlic, 1 cup cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, and vegetable oil together. Drop over filling.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes until biscuits are golden.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake 2-3 minutes more.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!