We were teased by some Spring-like weather last week only to be shocked back into 40 degree days this week. And although I definitely prefer 40 degrees over 10 degrees, it still feels cold! I’m using that to my advantage though to squeeze in a few more soup nights around our house. With Michigan’s track record, we should have at least a few more soup nights in our very near future.
As much as I love soup, I just don’t make it all that much in warmer weather. Who wants a bowl of steamy soup on a steamy hot day? (Well, I probably would, but my family wouldn’t hear of it.)
Ground Beef & Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 – 4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cup beef stock or broth
- 1 15 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Stir in barley and potatoes.
- Pour in the beef stock and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and barley are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the peas and cooked ground beef to the pot. Season with Italian seasoning and additional salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer an additional 5-10 minutes and serve.
So what about you – do you serve soup all year round or just in the fall and winter?
Things have been pretty status-quo in the kitchen so far this week. We’ve been enjoying the bacon waffles and muffins for breakfasts. Lunches have been equally simple with leftovers or salads. Maybe Jen or Toni have more going on for you to read about.