I call this breakfast bread, but really it can be eaten at any time of day. Personally, I think it makes a great late night snack.
That being said, we do love to have this bread for breakfast. It’s delicious toasted or just warmed in the microwave. Add some butter on top and you’ve got a complete breakfast in your hand. If you want a full breakfast, serve it alongside some scrambled eggs or topped with a fried egg.
Bacon, cheese and bread. How can you go wrong?
Bacon & Cheese Breakfast Bread
- 3 – 4 cup flour, divided
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 6 – 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled, reserve drippings
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar chees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 c. flour, sugar, yeast and hot water. Whisk or beat with an electric mixer for one minute. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- Add 2 T. reserved bacon grease and salt. Stir in remaining flour, 1/2 c. at a time, until dough is smooth and springy. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead dough for about 5 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, until no longer sticky. Working with a few handfuls at a time, knead in the cheese and bacon. Place dough and a greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 30 – 45 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into desired loaf shape. Place on a greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise another hour or so, until doubled in size. You can add a decorative cut into the bread if you want, but it’s not necessar
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Bread should sound hollow when you tap on the crust. If desired, sprinkle a little extra shredded cheese on top halfway through the baking process.
This post is being linked to:
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
- Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam
- Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy’s Recipes