I love the combination of strawberries and kiwis. It takes me back to the countless bottles of Strawberry Kiwi Snapple I was addicted to during my high school years. Nowadays, I usually get my strawberry kiwi fix straight up.
All four of our kids love every kind of fruit. Strawberries are number one on their list though. So I wanted to come up with a muffin that would combine some of our favorites, be an easy breakfast on busy mornings, and taste like summer.
This recipe makes two dozen and that’s a good thing considering we ate one dozen within a few hours of the muffins coming out of the oven. I had planned on freezing the second dozen, but the kids are begging to have them for breakfast tomorrow morning. I guess I’ll just have to make them more often.
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cup flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup diced strawberries (about 1/2 a pound)
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Sift or just stir for a minute with a whisk or fork. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk into the mixing bowl. Stir just until combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Carefully fold in the strawberries and kiwis.
- Scoop batter into greased muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. (Test with a toothpick if needed.)