Last Updated on
I love garbanzo beans. Honestly, I think I could eat them every day. In fact, my favorite way to eat salad is a small bit of lettuce, a huge scoop of garbanzo beans and some dressing. YUM!
So, I love cooking with them too. There are so many skillet dishes, casseroles or soups that are just made better with the addition of some garbanzo beans.
This dinner combines some of our favorite flavors and it’s always a big hit. And the best part is that the leftovers make a great soup with a few extra cups of beet stock.
Skillet Smoked Sausage & Garbanzo Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef
- 1 1/2 cup fully cooked garbanzo beans (from dry or canned)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add smoked sausage and cook until sausage starts to brown a bit. Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and let simmer about 10 minutes, until liquid is reduced by half (or until desired consistency.)
- Serve over rice, if desired.