Last Updated on
I love cooking with red cabbage. The color is amazing and it makes everything look good. I’ve found that even my non-cabbage eating kids will gobble this up. And the color is definitely the reason. When you have girls who love the color purple, I guess that should go without saying. (By the way, I just don’t get why it’s called red cabbage when it is so clearly purple. Does anybody know?)
If you’ve never cooked with red cabbage, this would definitely be a great introduction for you. It is easy and tastes great.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp each salt, pepper & thyme (plus more to taste, if desired)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and potatoes, cook about 5-7 minutes over medium heat, until potatoes just start to get a little browned. Reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn heat back up; add remaining ingredients and cook just until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.