Last Updated on
I had quite a few requests for the breadstick recipe I mentioned in my baking day post earlier this week, so I knew I had to share. I can’t take credit for this recipe. It comes from my good friend Joy. It is without a doubt the best breadstick recipe I’ve ever made!
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 tbsp butter, margarine, melted, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder/salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Add the yeast to the warm water and stir. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
- Mix sugar, flour, and salt together. Add the yeast mixture and stir to mix well.
- Knead for a few minutes until smooth. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Pour melted butter/margarine or olive oil in a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Press the dough into the dish, spreading it out to fill it completely.
- Cut the dough into strips in the baking dish and sprinkle with garlic and/or Parmesan cheese as desired. (I usually add some extra melted butter or olive oil on top too, but I’m overindulgent like that. You really don’t need to.)
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven until golden brown.
- And here is one of our favorite, over-the-top indulgent variations – mozzarella and bacon breadsticks.
- After the first 10 minutes of baking, I pulled the breadsticks out and covered them with 1 c. of mozzarella cheese and about 8 strips of fully cooked and crumbled bacon.