Last Updated on
I have a tendency to get a bit of a self-inflated ego when it comes to the way my kids eat. They are great eaters and for the most part, they will eat whatever is put in front of them. They eat their veggies. They eat all kinds of different meats. They love exotic flavors and new ingredients. I pat myself on the back when they are served a “fancy” meal and clean their plates.
But nothing brings me back to earth as quickly as a discussion about meals with them. Ask them what their favorite meals are and they’ll prove they are kids with fairly stereotypical tastes. Spaghetti, pizza, macaroni and cheese, tacos and French toast top their lists of favorites. Seriously? I was expecting to hear ragout and curry and bisque. Oh well. Leave it to the kids to keep it real for me!
So I wasn’t at all surprised when this Pepperoni Macaroni flew off their plates and into their mouths. It is classic kid-fare after all. As for my husband and myself, we realized we’re still kids at heart too. A simple meal that includes pepperoni, pizza sauce and pasta tastes just like you’d think it would whether you’re 4 or 34.
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lb macaroni noodles
- 1 3.5 oz package pepperoni
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Combine the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, water, olive oil and seasonings in a small bowl. Stir to combine well. Cover and refrigerate until using.
- + 8-10 minutes boiling time Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni and cook according to package directions. While pasta cooks, cut the pepperoni into halves or quarters. Drain pasta. If not using right away, rinse with cold water before refrigerating to keep it from sticking together.
- Combine pasta, pepperoni and pizza sauce in a large skillet (or use the pasta pot to cut down on dishes). Cook over medium heat just until heated through. Top with grated Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.