I really like one dish skillet meals. They’re easy, quick and yummy. And they remind me of those Hamburger Helper meals I used to love back in the day. (Yes, I’ve come a long way in the kitchen.)
I used to make dishes like this by boiling the noodles separately. Then I gleaned some wisdom from my friend Sonshine and realized I could boil the noodles in the skillet if I added more liquid, just like those Hamburger Helper meals. It works great!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 c. beef stock or broth
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 c. frozen corn
- 1 c. shredded cheese
1. Brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Stir in seasonings.
2. Add noodles, stock, tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender, about 15 – 20 minutes.
3. Stir in corn until heated through. Top with cheese and serve.