When we find something we like, I love coming up with as many different ways to serve it as possible. This recipe is the combination of several different variations of favorite easy recipes. That’s a long, convoluted way of saying it’s familiar, easy, basic and good.
If you want this recipe to be even easier, you could just bake the rolled-up dough as a loaf, but I really think the cinnamon roll-inspired pinwheels are a lot more fun for very little effort.
These little pinwheels are a great side dish with some eggs or as a stand alone, grab-and-go breakfast. You can even freeze them after baking and then warm in the microwave or oven as needed.
Sausage & Cheese Pinwheels
- 3 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1/3 – 1/2 c. milk
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled small
- 2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. Add milk as need until a soft but not sticky dough forms. Knead dough one minute.
2. Divide dough in half and roll out. Top with a layer of sausage and a layer of cheese. Roll up jelly roll style and slice into pieces, about an inch thick. Place onto a cookie sheet lined with foil and greased. Repeat with second batch.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 – 18 minutes, until golden brown.
Simple recipes like this that are a combination of easy and our favorite ingredients definitely work for me!
Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.