I can’t even begin to tell you how good these stuffed bread sticks are! I made a big batch for the kids for dinner and for the freezer and I had to force myself to stop at sampling just one. They definitely have a pizza taste, without the mess of a baked in sauce. Instead, they can be dipped in a variety of sauces, with Ranch dressing and pizza sauce being the top two picks here. They’re so versatile too. I think I’ll try cheddar cheese and ham as the filling next time.
I used a batch of pizza dough from the freezer (freezing tips below). I’ve shared this recipe before but I’m re-posting it here for convenience sake. I also adjusted the measurements so that the below recipe makes just enough for the bread sticks.
Stuffed Bread Sticks
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, optional
- 2 – 3 cup flour
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut in half
- 32 slices pepperoni
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- Optional topping: 2 t. Parmesan cheese, 1/2 t. each garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt
- Let yeast and sugar dissolve in warm water in a large mixing bowl for about 5 minutes. Add olive oil, 1/2 t. salt and optional 1/2 t. Italian seasoning. Slowly add the flour until completely combined and dough is no longer sticky. Knead for 5 minutes, place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle. (I don’t have any good measurements for you here besides saying not too thin and not too think.) Cut into 16 squares. At the edge of each square, place one piece of mozzarella and two pieces of pepperoni. Roll up and tuck in sides. Be sure to seal well to cut down on cheese melting out during the baking process. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat until done.
- Drizzle or brush melted butter or margarine over each mini bread stick. If desired, combine the optional topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.
Sign up for your free, printable cupons!