NOW (January 24, 2019) – How do kids that love bacon cheeseburgers get to snack on them regularly without relying on fast food or frozen, store-bought cheeseburgers? With these Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs! They are awesome to have in the freezer for after school snacks, especially after basketball or cheer practice.
THEN (February 9, 2010) – Meatballs are a regular staple in our house because we all love them, they freeze beautifully and they work great with so many different sauces. (Not to mention when I’m prepping a lot of ground beef for the freezer, making meatballs is a great way to quickly use up some of the meat.)
The idea for these meatballs came to me when I was trying to think of a good, all-in-one meatball recipe that I could have in the freezer for quick meals for the kids. Those types of meals are so crucial for me because they allow my husband and I have to have guilt and stress-free date nights, whether at home or not. We can eat a special meal just for the two of us while the kids get their own special meal. It works out perfectly.
However, in the case of these meatballs, they looked just too good so we all ate them for dinner. They definitely pack all the taste of a bacon cheeseburger into a simple meatball. These will definitely be made again and again!
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup oats or bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp each paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and pepper
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (about 24)
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced, crisped and de-greased
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese and bacon. Combine with hands.
- Using about a golf-ball sized amount of meat mixture, press flat on a plate or countertop. Place one cube of cheese and a bit of the bacon in the center and roll meat into a ball around the cheese and bacon.
- Place meatballs on a baking sheet and press any of the leftover bacon into the top of each meatball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until meat is fully cooked.Serve with your favorite burger toppings for dipping, if desired.