Stuffed Bread Sticks

I can’t even begin to tell you how good these stuffed bread sticks are! I made a big batch for the kids for dinner and for the freezer and I had to force myself to stop at sampling just one. They definitely have a pizza taste, without the mess of a baked in sauce. Instead, they can be dipped in a variety of sauces, with Ranch dressing and pizza sauce being the top two picks here. They’re so versatile too.  I think I’ll try cheddar cheese and ham as the filling next time.

I used a batch of pizza dough from the freezer (freezing tips below). I’ve shared this recipe before but I’m re-posting it here for convenience sake. I also adjusted the measurements so that the below recipe makes just enough for the bread sticks.

PA200615

Stuffed Bread Sticks

• 1 t. yeast
  • 1 t. sugar
  • 3/4  c. warm water
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. Italian seasoning, optional
  • 2-3 c. flour
  • 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut in half
  • 32 slices pepperoni
  • 2 T. butter or margarine, melted
  • Optional topping: 2 t. Parmesan cheese, 1/2 t. each garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt

1. Let yeast and sugar dissolve in warm water in a large mixing bowl for about 5 minutes. Add olive oil, 1/2 t. salt and optional 1/2 t. Italian seasoning.  Slowly add the flour until completely combined and dough is no longer sticky.  Knead for 5 minutes, place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.

2. On a floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle. (I don’t have any good measurements for you here besides saying not too thin and not too think.) Cut into 16 squares. At the edge of each square, place one piece of mozzarella and two pieces of pepperoni. Roll up and tuck in sides. Be sure to seal well to cut down on cheese melting out during the baking process. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat until done.

PA200583

3. Drizzle or brush melted butter or margarine over each mini bread stick. If desired, combine the optional topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

PA200605

I made these into mini bread sticks because I thought that would be fun for the kids. However, you can definitely make full sized ones and keep the string cheese whole.

Tips for freezing pizza dough -

Several people have asked how I freeze pizza dough. I bet there are tons of different answers to this question, so this is just what works best for me.

I prepare the dough as directed and let it rise. Then I punch it down and divide into portions, if needed. I flatten each portion into a disc shape, then I place it in a freezer bag and freeze.

When I’m ready to use the dough, I remove it from the plastic bag and place in an oiled bowl. I cover it with a towel until it’s completely thawed and then use as if fresh. I haven’t run into any problems with doing it this way and the dough always tastes as good as fresh.

Stop by We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday.
Coupons Inc.
Sign up for your free, printable coupons!

• Share/Bookmark

Comments

1. These look delicious! Can’t wait to give them a try…. the girls are sure to love them, but I’m betting they’ll be a hit with my hubbie too!

2. Kelly says:

Yum! It’s like pigs in a blanket only tasty!

3. Susan says:

Sounds wonderful; bookmarking it. Thank you!

4. Oh my friend – you know I am all over this one…yum! :)

5. I can’t wait to try this!

6. Jenny says:

Oh I’m definitely trying these. :D

7. Jojo says:

There’s only one thing worse than a bunch of pointless photos illustrating a recipe and that is BAD, OUT OF FOCUS pointless photos!

Were these taken with a cel phone?

8. Kelly says:

Jojo, you wouldn’t happen to be the same Jojo trolling around and being rude at the King Arthur’s blog “Baker’s Banter” would you?? If so please get a life. Everyone loves photos and seeing step-by-step instructions, and the photos are nowhere near cell phone quality they look great. They’re obviously not magazine photographs, but they still look good. Next time try to keep your not-so-nice opinions to yourself.

9. Melissa says:

My family would love these!

10. Bree says:

Thanks for the freezer tips!

11. Afton says:

Could I use Vegetable oil intsead of olive oil- or would that mess up the recipe?

12. Kim says:

Are these freezable? If so, b4 or after baking? How do you reheat them? I am thinking they would be good for my son’s lunches – he likes cold pizza so maybe these too.

13. Aubree says:

Wow…that was incredible!

14. Stephanie says:

Made these and they are SO good!

15. Leslie says:

I made these yesterday and sent them with my kids for lunch today! I made one batch with the pepperoni and mozza and one batch with cheddar and ham. I also swapped one cup of flour with whole wheat to make them a little healthier. Both of my kids loved them! I am going to try freezing them and just pulling them out the night before so they will be thawed by lunch the next day. Thank you so much for another way to keep lunch interesting!

16. Serena says:

I finally made these the other day!! Very yummy, I was so excited to try them!
    My hubby loved them too… :)

17. Chris says:

Yum! These look delicious. I’ll need to try them.

And to the person who complained about the photo’s, they looked just fine to me.

18. I know this is an old post, but I googled “stuffed bread” and found this. YUM!! I cannot wait to try this, particularly because it looks relatively easy. Thank you! Love the mini sticks.

19. Deb Kauffman says:

I keep frozen bread dough in the freezer. You can buy 3 loaves for about 2.39 where I live. It makes terrific pizza and stuffed bread, as well as sandwich bread. I’d give the brand name but I don’t know if that is allowed. It also has NO preservatives.

I’ve tried making my own bread, but alas, even with a machine…it’s like lead. But for those who don’t have a bread curse, her recipe looks wonderful.

20. Rattling superb information can be found on blog.

21. I would like to express thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular setting. Because of looking through the world-wide-web and coming across techniques which are not pleasant, I assumed my life was gone. Existing without the presence of approaches to the problems you’ve solved all through your guide is a critical case, and those that might have badly damaged my entire career if I had not come across your site. Your own personal training and kindness in playing with every part was excellent. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t discovered such a solution like this. I can also at this point relish my future. Thanks a lot very much for this skilled and effective guide. I will not think twice to propose your blog to anybody who needs to have direction on this area.