These sandwiches are so good. Everything can be prepared ahead of time and left in the refrigerator. At dinner time all that’s left is to assemble the sandwiches and warm them in the microwave or oven. You can prepare them as a stand alone meal or from leftover chicken. Talk about turning leftovers into a wonderful new meal!
Rodeo Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 lb. fully cooked shredded or diced chicken
- 2 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 slices cheese
- 6-8 hamburger buns
1. Prepare the barbecue sauce by combining the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes in a bowl. Stir until combined. Add the shredded or diced chicken and stir to coat.
2. In a small skillet, heat the 2 T. butter or margarine over medium heat until melted. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about another 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Divide the barbecue chicken evenly between the hamburger buns. Top with onions and mushrooms, then top with cheese. Place under a broiler or in the microwave just until the cheese melts.
Stop by Grocery Cart Challenge for more recipes and Biblical Womanhood for more Frugal Friday.