It feels so good to finally get started on my Christmas baking list. I’ve added quite a few new recipes and ideas to this year’s list that I’m excited to try.
These cookies were an experiment for me, so I just made a small batch to begin with since I wasn’t sure if the dough would freeze. And I’m never comfortable making a new recipe to give as a gift unless it’s passed the rigorous standards of our 4 kids and their very discerning dad. These cookies passed with flying colors.
However, I’m not sure how well the dough or the baked cookies would hold up in the freezer, so these will have to be made at last minute before giving them out. But I definitely think it’s worth the extra effort. They are light and flaky and just bursting with flavor.
Cream Cheese Pastry Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Filling of choice. Some options include: jam or preserves, almond paste, more cream cheese, nuts tossed with brown sugar and cinnamon. Really, the options are endless!
- Coarse or granulated sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together until creamy. Add flour and salt and beat just until combined. Wrap dough and refrigerate at least one hour, until easy to handle.
- Roll out refrigerated dough on a lightly floured or parchment-lined surface. Be careful not to leave the dough too thick. About 1/8 inch thickness is good. Cut the dough into evenly sized squares.
- Place about a 1/2 teaspoonful of the filling of your choice in the center of half the squares. Top the squares with the remaining dough squares and seal the edges all around with the tines of a fork. Sprinkle the tops with coarse or granulated sugar, if desired.
- Bake cookies on a parchment paper or foil lined cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Please take some time to visit In Jennie’s Kitchen today and for the next 11 days for the 12 Days of Sharing virtual cookie swap. Jennifer Perillo put together this fantastic idea as a fundraiser for Share Our Strength. I am so excited to see all the wonderful recipes and to help raise some more money for Share Our Strength in any way possible. (You do remember the Virtual Great American Bake Sale earlier this year, right?)
Stop by Jennifer’s to get the full scoop on 12 Days of Sharing, participate if you can, help spread the word and consider donating to this wonderful cause!
And also stop by Blessed With Grace for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Balancing Beauty and Bedlam for Tasty Tuesday.