In my never ending quest to add to my cold-salad-for-summertime-dinner repotoire, I decided to play around with my homemade pesto and see what I could come up with. I’m so glad I did and now we have a great new addition to our regular routine. Eric and the kids thought this was delicious too, so much so that Eric was severly disappointed to find out there wasn’t enough left for him to have a third helping.
Chicken Pesto & Couscous Salad
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium sized yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 lb roma or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pesto
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add cubed chicken and sliced zucchini. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until chicken is fully cooked and squash is tender. Remove from heat and cool.
- While chicken cooks, bring 2 cups chicken stock to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the couscous, stir, cover and reduce heat to to low. Cook for about 5 minutes, until stock is absorbed and couscous is tender. Cool.
- Once chicken-squash mixture and couscous are cooled, pour into a large bowl. Add tomatoes and pesto and stir until well combined. Refrigerate until serving.