Back in the days when we were eating convenience and packaged food, I was guilty of being a huge Hamburger Helper fan. My favorite was the Cheeseburger Macaroni. It took me a few years to duplicate it just right, but now I no longer miss Hamburger Helper at all! This is the recipe I use whenever I’m craving that comfort food.
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 T. ketchup
- 1 T. mustard
- 1 T. fresh parsley, minced, or 1 t. dried parsley flakes, crumbled
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. cooked elbow macaroni noodles
1. Place ground meat and onions in a large skillet and season with salt, to taste. Brown meat. Do NOT drain fat.
2. Add flour, stir to incorporate, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in milk, bring to a boil over medium heat, and thicken. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese. Continue stirring until cheese is fully melted.
3. Stir in ketchup, mustard, and salt & pepper to the sauce. Add noodles and combine well. Serve and enjoy!