This recipe is a favorite with both my husband and my father-in-law. It’s a great meal to make ahead of time because the extra sitting time allows the flavors to blend nicely. This casserole freezes well as is (after being baked) or you can just freeze the beef and bean combination in a freezer bag and add the cornbread on top before baking and serving.BBQ Beef & Bean Cornbread Casserole
for the homemade barbecue sauce:
- 1 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T. honey
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. allspice
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t. pepper
Combine all BBQ sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
For the beef and bean combination:
- 1/2 lb. dried beans (any kind, I usually use pinto or kidney)
- 1/2 – 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1/2 diced green pepper, 1 diced celery stalk, 1 shredded carrot
- 2 c. barbecue sauce (homemade or from a bottle)
1. Soak beans overnight and cook until done.
2. Brown ground beef with onions and any optional ingredients, and salt and pepper to taste. Drain. Combine beans and beef. Add reserved BBQ sauce and stir to coat all. Pour into a 13×9 casserole dish.
For the cornbread:
- 3/4 c. corn meal
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil, melted butter, or meat drippings
1. Combine all dry ingredients. Stir in remaining ingredients until moist.
2. Spoon over beef and bean filling. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.