On Saturday night I wanted to make us a fun family dinner, but I also had some meatloaf cups (recipe coming later this week) in the freezer that I wanted to use up. I didn’t have enough meatloaf cups to just make those with a side dish though. So I decided it was time to creative. Here is what I came up with.
BBQ Meatloaf & Caramelized Onion Pizza
For Pizza Dough
- 1 c. warm water
- 2 T. yeast
- 2 T. honey
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 1/2 c. flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water for 5 minutes. Stir in honey, olive oil and salt. Add the flour, 1/2 c. at a time, until dough is no longer sticky. (This can be done in a stand mixer also.) Knead for about 5 minutes.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Punch down dough, knead 1 minute, recover in greased bowl and let rise 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
3. Roll out pizza crust and place on a pizza stone, or press onto a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Prebake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool and top with pizza toppings.
For Pizza Toppings –
- 1 c. ketchup (or, in a pinch like I was, 1 can tomato paste, 1 can water, 1 t. apple cider vinegar and 1/2 t. salt)
- 2 T. worchestschire sauce
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. each; garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 T. butter
- 2 t. honey
1. Melt butter in a skillet. Add onions and honey. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until onions are tender and caramelized.
—6 meatloaf cups, leftover meatloaf or meatballs, cut into cubes
–2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
To put the pizza together:
- Spread BBQ sauce over pizza crust. Top with caramelized onions.
- Cover onions and sauce with chopped meatloaf.
- Cover all with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, until crust is done and cheese is melted.
We could not believe how delicious this pizza was. I will definitely be making it again soon!
I will post the full game plan for this dinner later on this week.