Last Updated on
This easy cheese ball recipe is perfect for any party appetizer or get together. A mixture of 3 different cheeses is combined with ranch seasoning and rolled in chopped pecans for the best cream cheese ball ever!
I don’t know about you, but IMO no party is complete without some sort of cheese spread, cheese log or cheese ball recipe on the table. There are so many different cheese balls recipes out there, which makes it difficult to choose which one is the best recipe for cheeseballs.
I personally like this cheese ball dip recipe, because it’s basic and easy. No weird ingredients are in it, and it’s usually a crowd pleaser!
The ingredients for this easy cheeseball recipe are:
- cream cheese
- cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
- blue cheese
- ranch seasoning packet
There are so many different cheese ball recipes out there. You can always tailor this recipe to your liking.
- Hate blue cheese? Leave it out!
- Want to make a cream cheese ball with bacon? Add cooked bacon pieces instead of chopped pecans.
- Cheese ball recipe with green onions: just add chopped green onions when you mix the cheese together
One thing that makes this cheese balls recipe easy, is the fact that you only need to make sure your cheese is at room temperature. Once it’s softened, then mix the cheeses and ranch packet together! When it comes to how to make a cheese ball, there are no special or difficult steps to this recipe at all.
Let’s start with the most time consuming part of this recipe: bringing the cream cheese to room temperature.
There are different theories and suggestions on how to soften cream cheese. The way I like to soften cream cheese is to just set it on the counter for at least an hour. Some people take it out of the wrapping and place in on a microwave safe plate and heat it for 5 seconds at a time, flipping it alternatively until it is softened.
I don’t like to use the microwave method for softening cream cheese, because if you soften it too much, you will end up with a runny cheeseball which is no good!
Just allow yourself enough time to let the cream cheese come to room temperature on the countertop.
After your cream cheese is softened, remove it from the packaging and place it in a medium sized mixing bowl. You can either make this cheese ball with Hidden Valley Ranch packet, or with your own homemade ranch seasoning. I opt to use a seasoning packet because it’s easy.
Add your ranch seasoning to the cream cheese. With a hand mixer on low speed, mix the seasoning and cream cheese together until combined. Add the blue cheese and about half of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix again.
After it is incorporated, add the rest of the cheddar cheese and mix until combined.
For this next step you can use your hands, but I suggest either using disposable gloves or plastic wrap to contain the mess. Form the cheese mixture into 2 balls, packing it tightly together.
Place the chopped pecans on a plate and roll each of the cheese balls in the chopped pecans until all of the surface is covered with the nuts. You can press down a bit so that the nuts stay.
Serve and enjoy!
💭 Top tips
- I start with a block of cheddar cheese and shred it myself with a cheese grater. Using a cheese grater not only saves money, but it also eliminates any extra ingredients or additive which they add to pre-shredded cheese so that it doesn’t clump in the package. Pre-shredded cheese of any sort, doesn’t melt as easily and has a different texture, that can potentially change the outcome of your recipe, particularly the texture.
- In order to make the best cheese ball recipe ever, you need to make sure you cream cheese is at room temperature, as I stated before.
🥗 Serving suggestions
You can serve this cream cheeseball on a charcuterie board with an assortment of crackers and veggies. It can also be a stand alone cheese appetizer with crackers.
This classic cheese ball can be stored in the fridge with plastic wrap over it for up to 4 days.
So can I freeze a cheese ball with nuts?
Yes, absolutely! Since this recipe makes 2 cream cheese balls, I made one and we ate it right away and I put one away in the freezer.
Freezer instructions: wrap the fully prepared cheddar cheese ball with ranch and chopped nuts in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag. Place the wrapped cheese ball in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge for a day before serving.
As I stated before, I always buy cheese in a block and shred it myself. The texture of the shredded cheese is so much better when you grate it yourself. If you don’t have a box grater, I highly suggest you get one.
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to rate it below and follow me on Instagram!
Easy Cheese Ball Recipe
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 ranch packet
- 4 oz. blue cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature before beginning
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the softened cream cheese and ranch seasoning. Mix on low speed until incorporated together
- Add half of the shredded cheddar cheese and all of the blue cheese and mix on low
- Mix in the rest of the cheddar cheese just until combined
- Form the cheese ball mixture into 2 balls and roll them in the chopped pecans until the outside is covered in a crust of pecans
- Serve on a charcuterie board or platter with crackers and assorted veggies