I love the combination of strawberries and kiwis. It takes me back to the countless bottles of Strawberry Kiwi Snapple I was addicted to during my high school years. Nowadays, I usually get my strawberry kiwi fix straight up.
All four of our kids love every kind of fruit. Strawberries are number one on their list though. So I wanted to come up with a muffin that would combine some of our favorites, be an easy breakfast on busy mornings, and taste like summer.
This recipe makes two dozen and that’s a good thing considering we ate one dozen within a few hours of the muffins coming out of the oven. I had planned on freezing the second dozen, but the kids are begging to have them for breakfast tomorrow morning. I guess I’ll just have to make them more often.
- 1 c. butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 4 c. flour
- 4 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. diced strawberries (about 1/2 a pound)
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Sift or just stir for a minute with a whisk or fork. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk into the mixing bowl. Stir just until combined, being careful not to over mix.
4. Scoop batter into greased muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. (Test with a toothpick if needed.)
This recipe can easily be halved if you only want to make a dozen. Although I wouldn’t recommend that since you’ll probably regret that decision after taking your first bite of the muffins.