My husband laughed at me when I first told him I had this idea. He thought “pasta salad on a stick” was the craziest idea he’d heard in a long time. But I just knew it would work, so I didn’t let his laughter dissuade me.
And I’m so glad I didn’t because these came out so great. The kids are thrilled to have these for lunch both because of the novelty and the taste.
My idea for these originally came about because I wanted a quick lunch that could be ready in the fridge and that all of the kids, even the 4 year old, could just grab when it was lunchtime and head back outside to eat. Since these stay good for at least 3 days, I love to make up a big batch and have them on hand all the time. The skewers would also be perfect for a casual picnic since they don’t require any silverware.
Pasta Salad Skewers
- 1 lb. cheese tortellini; cooked, drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1/2 lb. grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 lb. pepperoni
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bottle Italian dressing
- Bamboo skewers
1. Alternately thread tortellini, tomatoes, cucumbers and folded pepperoni onto skewers. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a large casserole, bowl or big plastic bags and cover with salad dressing.
2. Refrigerate until serving, but at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
You can obviously play around with this idea a LOT and replace or add different veggies and meats as desired. The dressing can be played with too, although I’m not how well a creamy dressing would work. If you try it out, let me know!