Ok, I realize I’m pushing it a bit here. The calendar says March 30th. It says SPRING. But we’ve yet to really feel that around here. So I hope you all don’t mind me sneaking in just one more cold-weather dish. Believe me, I am more than ready to switch seasons in my kitchen!
Tuscan Beef Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlice, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cup beef stock
- 1 15 oz can canellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb frozen spinach
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Stir in onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until mushrooms are lightly browned. Stir in beef and continue cooking until browned on all sides. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef stock into pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer over low heat for 2-3 hours, until beef is tender.
- Stir in beans, spinach and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and continue cooking an additional 10-15 minutes, until thickened. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.