This Taffy Apple Salad is a great side dish for this time of year. It’s still a cold salad, which is so appreciated when it’s hot outside. But it also has a fall-ish flavor with all the apples.
The recipe I share below comes from my grandmother. She used to make this all the time for family get-togethers. It’s one of the very first recipes I requested once I had my own kitchen. I have never gotten tired of it. Plus, I love sharing a dish I loved as a child with my children and watching them love it too.
The sauce for this salad is unique and it provides a smooth, sweet and somewhat tangy finish. It is a perfect side dish, but I’ve been known to eat it for both breakfast and dessert too.
Taffy Apple Salad
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed or 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits, divided
- 1 8 oz container Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 red delicious apples, not peeled and cubed
- 2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup slated peanuts
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, egg and juice from can of pineapple. Whisk over low heat until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cool whip.
- In a large bowl, add pineapple tidbits, apples, marshmallows and peanuts. Pour sauce on top and toss to combine. Refrigerate at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.
Stop by Blessed With Grace for more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Balancing Beauty and Bedlam for more Tasty Tuesday.
P.S. – Looking for even more salad recipes? Check out this amazing resource – 365 Salad Recipes. That’s right, a salad recipe for every day of the year, including breakfast salads, dessert salads, ethnically inspired salads, and lots more. How cool is that?