Have you picked up your copy of Better Breakfast – 110 Breakfast Recipes yet? Don’t forget, the sales price of $3.97 ends Thursday. Order yours today!
Yesterday, one of our new neighbors invited the kids to forage through his garden. So my husband took them over and while the adults chatted, four little kiddos filled their plastic grocery bags with some wonderfully good garden bounty. What a treat for them, and for me! We are now even more excited for starting the prep work on our own garden for next summer when we head into fall.
Needless to say, my refrigerator and countertops were overflowing with fresh veggies just begging to be eaten. I figured an easy pasta skillet dinner would be a great way to enjoy the vegetables quickly and without heating up the kitchen too much. Toss in some ham and a light, summery sauce and dinner was all set. Delicious!
Summer Spaghetti with Ham
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 ears corn, shucked and corn removed (or about 1 1/2 c. frozen corn)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 8 oz package diced ham
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup c. Italian blend shredded cheese, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1/2 lb 1/2 lb. thin spaghetti, vermicelli or angel hair, cooked and drained
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet.Add green peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining veggies, except tomatoes, and ham. Cook for about 5 minutes, until veggies are crisp tender.
- Stir in chicken stock or wine, lemon juice and seasonings. Combine well.
- Add milk and bring to a slow boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, just until the sauce begins to thicken up a bit. (It should just cover the back of a spoon without running off.)
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in tomatoes and cheese. Add pasta and toss to coat well. Garnish with additional shredded cheese, if desired.