I know these sandwiches are a little different in method from traditional Stromboli, but this is my lazy way of choice to make them for nights when I need a quicker meal. These sandwiches are delicious and so quick to throw together, especially if the fillings are prepped ahead of time.
We like these for family movie or game nights. They’d also be fun food for entertaining. You could slice each loaf into small pieces and serve as an appetizer too. The fillings can easily be adjusted to taste too.
- 2 loaves Italian bread
- 1 c. pizza sauce
- 1 lb. bulk sausage (Italian or plain pork), cooked and drained
- 15-20 slices pepperoni
- 1/4 c. sliced black olives
- 1/4 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
1. Cut loaves of bread in half horizontally without cutting all the way through. Spread 1/2 c. pizza sauce on the bottom of one side of each loaf.
2. Layer the sausage and pepperoni on top of the pizza sauce.3. Sprinkle the olives and mushrooms on top of the meats.
4. Add the cheese as the final layer.
5. Partially close the sandwiches and place in a 350 degree oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.