Last Updated on
I blame laziness for many of my successful creations in the kitchen. I am all about cutting corners wherever and whenever possible. As long as the food still tastes good, I don’t mind if it looks a little different than the usual or if it requires a few steps less. Good is good, but good and quick and easy is even better!
So when I really had a craving for sausage and cheese biscuit sandwiches over the weekend, I took the lazy approach. We had packing to do and errands to run. The thought of all the individual steps and time-intensive process of putting together those homemade sandwiches almost made me opt for making pancakes instead. Then the lazy part of my brain kicked in and I decided to just make them all in one.
I wasn’t too sure how this experiment in laziness would turn out initially. Just because it makes sense in my head doesn’t mean it always carries over to the finished product. But let me tell you – these sausage & cheese biscuits were fantastic! They were so much better than I could have even imagined they’d be. In fact, my husband and oldest daughter couldn’t get enough of them. (He had 5 and she had 3.) They taste just like sausage and cheese biscuits, minus a few extra steps.
Sausage & Cheese Biscuits
- 3 cup flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage, crumbled and fully cooked, cooled
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 – 1 1/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Stir in the cooled sausage and cheddar cheese. Add milk just until the dough comes together without being sticky. Be careful not to add too much.
- Roll out dough and cut out with a biscuit cutter, shape about a 1/4 c. of dough into a biscuit shape or just drop onto a baking sheet. (I used the shape-by-hand method and made 18 biscuits.) Bake at 400 degrees for 12- 18 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
This post is being linked to:
Funny thing – as I was typing up this recipe, I realized it sounded exactly like another recipe I love – sausage and cheese pinwheels. Turns out, it is almost exactly the same! I can’t believe I never thought of saving myself the cuple extra steps of rolling out the pinwheels on super busy mornings! These biscuits definitely aren’t as pretty as the pinwheels, but the taste is definitely still a winner!