Last Updated on
One of the best deals that I snagged during our monthly grocery shopping trip was a pound and a half of organic basil marked down to 99 cents! It was such an incredible steal that I just couldn’t pass up. I knew I’d need to do something with it quickly though, since it was marked down for a reason.
So one of the first things I did after unloading groceries was make a huge batch of pesto. I love pesto! Plus, it’s the perfect treatment for prolonging the life of basil since it freezes so well. I like to freeze my pesto in ice cube trays so that I can just pop a cube or two into whatever I’m making (especially soups and spaghetti sauce) for an extra kick.
As soon as I tasted the pesto, I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied with just packing it all away in the freezer. I wanted to eat some immediately. So I quickly threw together some French bread pizzas and they were a huge hit all around.
Pesto Chicken French Bread Pizza
- 1/2 – 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Desired seasonings
- 2 loaves French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 cup Italian or pizza blend cheese
- Season chicken breasts to taste. (I used a Tuscan spice blend, but even just some simple salt and pepper would work.) Bake at 350 degrees until fully cooked, about 30 minutes. Let cool and cut into thin slices.
- Spread pesto on each of the four halves of bread. Evenly layer the chicken pieces on top of the pesto.
- Cover completely with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until cheese is completely melted and lightly golden brown.
This post is being linked to: