Welcome to the first week of the Bargain Meal of the Week. I am excited to join Erin from $5 Dinners in this new weekly feature. Each week you can come here to get a few meal ideas based around the current weekly sales at Meijer stores. (I’ll be publishing them on Sundays beginning next week.)
This week I have two meal ideas to share with you.
Meal #1 – Chili-topped salad with chips
- 1 lb. Certified Angus beef ground beef from round ($1.99/lb.)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 t. each salt, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 can Bush’s Chili Beans in Mild Sauce (25% off)
- 1 12oz. package Dole iceberg salad ($1.00)
- 1 c. shredded cheese (from 12 oz. pkg. Meijer shredded cheese – 2/$6.00)
- 1 bag Fritos (2/$4.00)
1. Cook ground beef and onion until done. Drain. Stir in seasonings, tomato sauce and chili beans.
2. Pour the salad into a large serving bowl. Top with chili mixture and cheese. Serve with Fritos.
Meal #2 – BBQ Chicken sandwiches with Cheddar Smashed Red Skin Potatoes
- 1 lb. Meijer fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts ($1.99/lb)
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce or 1 1/2 c. homemade barbecue sauce
- 2 1/2 lbs. red potatoes (from 5lb. bag red potatoes – 2/$5.00), quartered
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (from 12 oz. pkg, Meijer shredded cheese – 2/$6.00)
- 1 pkg. Aunt Millie’s hamburger buns
1. Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and cover with barbecue sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Remove from oven and, using 2 forks, shred chicken in sauce.
2. While chicken is baking, place potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Drain.
3. Return potatoes to pot. Add butter or margarine, milk and sour cream. Using a potato masher, smash the potatoes to desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stir in shredded cheese.
4. Place some chicken on each bun and serve with potatoes and a veggie of your choosing.