Have you ever bought an ingredient just because it was on sale and looked really good? I hate to admit it, but I have a tendency of falling into that trap, especially when I break the cardinal rule of never grocery shopping while hungry. That’s exactly what happened earlier this month when I made a quick stop to pick up some yogurt and milk and my eyes landed on a container of Feta cheese. Although I had no idea how I’d use it, I couldn’t resist!
So, I’ve had this container of Feta sitting in our refrigerator while I tried to decide on a great way to use it. Finally, I decided on something a little different that just sounded so good to me for some reason. It turned out exactly as I hoped. The Feta added a perfect little kick to the dish.
I used sliced Chicken & Spinach sausage because I had some on hand, but I think the meat could definitely be swapped for something else. Chicken would great.
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb chicken sausage, sliced (or substitute with another meat of your choice)
- 2 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 6 oz can sliced black olives
- 1/2 can crumbled Feta cheese
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, just until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add butter and cook until melted. Stir in sausage, spinach and seasonings. Cook for 5 more minutes, then add potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until potatoes and browned and crisp.
- Remove from heat and stir in olives. Top with Feta and serve immediately.