On the weekends, we always love to have a dinner that is a little different, a little fun, and definitely conducive to a fun family night of movie watching or game playing. It’s always a bit of a challenge for me to come up with something new though. I tend to rely on our stand-bys of nachos, homemade appetizers or pizza. And while those three options are always a hit, we all welcome a little mix up in the routine every so often.
Enter these Meatball Marinara Subs. Although they’re not necessarily eating-on-the-couch food, they do work perfectly for a family game night around the table. Plus, they are completely stolen moments friendly. That means I can make them as I have time throughout the day or even the day before. So I get more time to enjoy the family during family night. After all, that’s the most important thing!
Meatball Marinara Subs
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 6 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Meatballs (use frozen, your favorite recipe or these Parmesan Meatballs)
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Hoagie/sub rolls
- In a food processor or blender, process diced tomatoes with garlic and onion until everything is broken down but still a little chunky.
- Add diced tomato mixture, tomato paste, tomato sauce and seasonings to a large skillet. Bring to a slow boil and simmer about 15-20 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
- Add meatballs to the skillet and heat through. Spoon meatballs and sauce on hoagie rolls and top with sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and rolls are just slightly crispy.