These burritos make a wonderfully frugal, meat-free, delicious meal. The texture of the lentil and rice combination is surprising similar to ground meat too.
Lentil & Rice Burritos
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice, fully cooked
- 1 1/2 cup lentils, fully cooked
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese, optional
- 10 tortillas (I use homemade, but store-bought will work just as well)
- Cook onion, green pepper and garlic in hot olive oil for 5 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled veggies with the lentils, rice, tomatoes and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Generously scoop filling into tortillas; sprinkle optional cheese on top of the filling, if desired. Roll up tortillas, place in a casserole dish. (If making this ahead of time, store in the refrigerator at this point.)
- Place casserole dish in a 350 degree oven and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes. Top with sour cream, if desired.