Last Updated on
I think meatloaf gets an undeserved bad rap a lot of times. Personally, I can’t think of anything more comforting than a really good and well-made meatloaf. And to me, a really good meatloaf all comes down to proportions of meat vs. loaf. More meat and less loaf is definitely the way to go.
We all really enjoy a traditional meatloaf or meatloaf cups. It usually makes an appearance on our dinner table once a month. While the girls and I enjoy the meatloaf just as it is, my husband and son seem to think that meatloaf is nothing more than a vehicle for ketchup. But I’ve learned to be okay with that because they definitely eat it up!
As much as traditional meatloaf is enjoyed, I do still like to mix things up a bit. That’s where meatloaf patties come in. They are made with all the same ingredients as meatloaf, but they are shaped into patties and cooked on the stove. They get nice and crisp on the outside while still maintaining that nice, moist texture inside. And cooking time is only about 20 minutes, making them super friendly on a busy night. I like to assemble the patties in the morning when I have a few spare minutes (yes, during those stolen moments). Then I cook them right before we eat while I finish up any side dishes. (I previously shared a recipe for Taco Meatloaf Patties for another fun twist.)
These Italian Meatloaf Patties are loaded with flavor. They are perfect served alongside spaghetti with marinara sauce.
Italian Meatloaf Patties
- 1/2 small green pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, optional
- Pile the green pepper, onion and garlic on a cutting board and finely mince. (NOTE – This step can be skipped if desired. Personally, I like the flavor and not the texture, so that’s why I mince them.)
- Combine veggies, ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, egg and seasonings. Work together with your hands or a spoon until fully incorporated.
- Form mixture into 6 evenly sized oval patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip patties, reduce heat to medium and cover skillet. Cook for about another 15 minutes, until fully cooked. If desired, remove cover and place mozzarella cheese slices on top of patties 5 minutes before cook time is finished. Cover skillet again and allow cheese to melt while the patties finish cooking.