Last Updated on
This past weekend we stopped in at a local gourmet market. Our plan was to just look around at all the fun and unique items. But then I saw the most beautiful chicken sausages I have ever seen. I’m serious here – these things were gorgeous. When I saw that they were only $2.99 per pound, I couldn’t resist buying some.
I was so excited to make something with them. Unfortunately, since it’s the end of the month and the kids and I are heading out of town for a week on Sunday, our cupboards were rather bare. But I couldn’t let that stop me because I just had to try those sausages ASAP. So I used what I had and threw together a simple spaghetti dinner that was made outstanding with the addition of the sausage. I kept the flavors of the sauce simple to allow the flavors of the sausage to shine through. If I wasn’t so hooked on this sausage, I would have waited to do something a bit more special with it.
Italian Chicken Sausage Spaghetti
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage (plain Italian sausage would work just fine too)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste if needed)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 lb cooked spaghetti
- Place sausage in a large skillet with 1/2 c. water. Bring water to a boil, cover skillet and cook for 15 minutes. Remove cover and let water simmer away while browning the sausages. Remove from skillet and slice. Set aside.
- Add 2 T. olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the sausage back to the skillet.
- Add the tomato sauce and remaining seasonings. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer as long as possible. (I had it simmering all day to really develop the flavors.) Serve over spaghetti or stir the spaghetti into the sauce just before serving.