Our kids go crazy for appetizers as dinner, which I’m sure isn’t anything unusual. Every time I announce that it’s “App Dinner Night,” I know there will be cheering and excitement all around. Each of the kids have their own favorites, but the one that they all love is Cream Cheese Wontons.
I’ll admit that I sometimes cheat and buy a box of these from the freezer section at the grocery store, especially on Friday nights after a long week. But when I have extra time, I love to throw this homemade version together. They’re a bit of a labor of love because they do require quite a bit of hands-on time. The taste though? No comparison to the frozen version! These will win any taste test.
Homemade Cream Cheese Wontons
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 T. sliced green onions
- 1 t. soy sauce
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 pkg. wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Sauces for dipping, optional
- Stir together the cream cheese, green onions, soy sauce, and garlic powder until well blended.
- Spoon roughly 1-tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture onto the center of one wonton wrapper. Lightly wet the edges of the wrapper with water, fold in half, and seal. (Use a little extra water if needed to get a good seal.)
- Fry 4 to 5 wonton at a time in hot oil. (I use a deep skillet, but you can use your favorite frying method.) Fry for about 5 minutes, flipping over halfway through, until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauce(s), such as sweet chili pepper sauce, soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, etc.
- Enjoy! ~