This is such a versatile meal. The seasonings can be changed, the meat can be switched or eliminated altogether, the cheese can be swapped with something else, and so can the bread. And the best part? Almost every combination turns out delicious! It is also great for breakfast or dinner!
Ham & Cheese Strata
- 8 slices bread, white or whole wheat
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup ham, chopped
- 2 1/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cut the crusts off 5 slices of bread and set aside. Place remaining 3 slices of bread and the removed crusts into the bottom of a greased 13×9 casserole dish.
- Layer the ham and cheese on top of the bread. Cut the remaining 5 slices of bread in 1/2 and layer on top in two rows.
- Combine the milk, eggs and seasonings in a small bowl. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Find more tummy-tempting goodness at Blessed With Grace and head over to $5 Dinners for more $5 recipe challenge.