Last Updated on
These brownies are fabulous on their own, but when you add a chocolate-espresso frosting on top, they are sinful!
Fudgy Brownies with Chocolate-Espresso Frosting
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 12 cup boiling water
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour (This is my attempt to make them a teeny, tiny bit healthier. You can use all white flour though.)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 6 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
- 2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp espresso powder or instant coffee dissolved in 1 T. hot water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 x 9 baking pan. Stir together cocoa and baking soda in large bowl; stir in 1/3 c. butter. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens.
- Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 c. butter; stir until smooth. Add flours, vanilla and salt; stir until blended. (Optional: stir in chocolate chips.) Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Frost brownies (optional)
- Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, espresso and vanilla, beating to spreading consistency.