I created this recipe as my entry for the BlogHer/Stove-Top competition. Although it didn’t make the final cut, we all thought it was delicious. So I thought maybe someone else would find it delicious too.
Florentine Sausage & Stuffing Skillet
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage, sage or plain
- 1/4 c. onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c. frozen spinach
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 1 pkg. Stove-Top chicken stuffing
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 pear, diced (optional)
- 2 c. Italian blend or mozzarella shredded cheese
1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in the onions and garlic and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in the spinach, pepper and nutmeg. Cook 5 minutes more.
2. Stir in the stuffing package and water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until water is fully absorbed.
3. Stir in the optional walnuts and diced pears. Add shredded cheese on top, cover and let sit until cheese is almost completely melted.