Last Updated on
We eat our fair share of casseroles and one-dish meals around here. We all enjoy them for the taste, but I especially enjoy preparing them for their ease, versatility and convenience. Just one dish to clean? Yep, that makes me a happy mama! A dish that I can play around with a few of the ingredients and come up with an entirely new taste? Yep, that gets a check in my book! And a dish that can be made in hardly any time, completely in stolen moments, then reheated when we’re ready to eat? It just doesn’t get any more perfect than that.
But, for as much as we love those types of meals, I’ll be the first to admit that we’d get tired of them if that was all ate every day. And there are so many other wonderful meals and options out there that taste just too wonderful to pass up.
However, I do struggle with side dishes occasionally. I’d happily eat mashed potatoes at every meal! That wouldn’t fly with the rest of the family though. So I’m always on the look out for ideas to expand my side dish repertoire. Especially since sometimes, no matter how good the main course, a side dish can truly either make or break a meal. Know what I mean?
Well, this recipe is one of my stand-bys for a great side dish that works with just about any kind of meal. The taste and texture (buttery noodles…crispy, familiar veggies) is always a hit with the kids too. Plus, there’s just something about egg noodles that gives a dish such a homey, comforting taste. I love them!
Crispy Egg Noodles
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 – 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 – 2 carrots, diced or shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 – 3 green onions, thinly sliced (greens only)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet (or just use the pot that you cooked the noodles in). Add the celery and carrots and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the noodles just start to get a little crispy. Season again with salt and pepper to taste, if needed, before serving.