This is one of my dad’s all-time favorite desserts. His mom used to make for every holiday and birthday meal. Unfortunately, when she became sick a few years ago and moved in to a nursing home, this dessert was no longer a part of the family celebrations. At her funeral a few months ago, my aunt and I were discussing some of my grandma’s recipes and I asked my aunt to send me any that she had. My dad overheard us and requested that she also send me the recipe for cream cheese pie.
I was so excited to tackle recreating this favorite dessert for him to enjoy after Thanksgiving dinner. It was my first attempt and I wasn’t as pleased with the results as I had hoped. However, I was the only one who felt that way. My dad loved the pie!
Cream Cheese Pie
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Dash of cinnamon
- 11 oz cream cheese, softened (1 large & 1 small pkg.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp rum or whiskey (I was going for authentic for my dad, but if I make this for just us, I think I’ll use vanilla instead.)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp rum or whiskey (Again, I’ll use vanilla for just the 6 of us)
- Mix ingredients together. Reserve 4 T. for topping. Press remaining mixture firmly and evenly against bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. (Confession time – I was in a hurry and used a store-bought graham cracker crust.)
- Beat ingredients together until creamy. Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping around the edges of the pie.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Beat topping ingredients together. Carefully place on top of pie. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight before serving.