I shared this recipe back in October on A Simple Walk. It is on my menu plan again this week for the first time since then. I’m looking forward to making and eating it again.
Last time I made this, I made it all the way up to adding the pasta. Then I put the skillet in the refrigerator. At dinner time, I pulled it out and warmed it over low heat while I boiled the pasta. Then I just tossed it all together right before serving. This is one of those dishes that I think is really enhanced by being made this way. The flavors have a chance to blend in the refrigerator.
Chickpea, Bacon & Spinach Pasta
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked and fully cooked (or 1 or 2 cans chickpeas, I’m not sure of the equivalent)
- 1/2 bag frozen chopped spinach (or 4 c. fresh spinach)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 lb pasta (I used spaghetti because that is what I had on hand, but I think it would be better with rotini or orecchiette.)
- Crisp bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, do not drain. Add onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin & black pepper. Cook until onions are tender.2. Add chickpeas and spinach and cook for 5 minutes, until heated through. (At this point, you could stop and have a wonderful side dish.)
- Stir in the red wine vinegar and chicken stock. Bring to a low boil and let simmer until the stock begins to thicken a little. Add spaghetti and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Be sure to visit $5 Dinners to participate in the $5 Dinner Challenge.