This meal is high on my list of favorites to prepare because it fits so nicely with my methods and standards. It’s easy, delicious, and the flavors develop so nicely while it sits in the refrigerator waiting for dinner. In fact, I think the flavor just gets better the longer it sits, so I will sometimes make it the day before if I have time.
Usually I like to serve this over homemade egg noodles or spaetzle. However, I don’t always have time to make those so a bag of egg noodles works great in a pinch.
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lb fully cooked & drained egg noodles or spaetzle
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, then add the paprika and chicken stock. Stir to incorporate the paprika. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover skillet, and let simmer for one hour. Remove from heat.
- Take the chicken out of the skillet and cut into cubes. Stir the sour cream into the sauce in the skillet. Place the chicken back in and stir to coat. Serve over egg noodles or spaetzle.