Remember those homemade egg noodles I shared the recipe for yesterday? Well, here’s how I used them in our dinner – chicken and gravy with homemade noodles.
This meal is all about basic down home comfort. The flavors blend together to create a creamy, delicious combination. It reminds me of something you’d get at Cracker Barrel or a similar restaurant, but I think it’s a thousand times better. And the smell while it simmers! There’s nothing that can compare.
Chicken & Gravy with Homemade Noodles
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 1 – 2 lb chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 lb baby carrots
- 2 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 batch homemade egg noodles
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, combine chicken stock, chicken, carrots and seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Add cut noodles to pot. Return to a boil and let boil until noodles are desired tenderness, about 7-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodles. The broth will thicken as the noodles cook until it is a gravy consistency.
- Shred or dice cooled chicken and return to pot. Stir to combine and continue cooking until heated through. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and warm on the stove before serving.