NOW (January 21, 2019) – Oh, how different and yet how similar things are! This Chicken Enchilada Chili (aka White Chicken Chili) is currently simmering in the crockpot in an effort to free up some time this evening. Eric closed his business a few months after I wrote this post and now is home with me every day to help run my freelance business. But, that doesn’t mean things have calmed down with the kids. If anything, our schedules have gotten much more filled with activities as they’ve gotten older.
Both Grace and Alex have practice for their current sports (competitive cheer and basketball, respectively) after school, and then at 5:30 we have a parent meeting for the co-ed wrestling club, which both Grace and Jill have decided they want to join. If you knew these girls, you’d know what an ironic choice that is. But, we’re all for them trying out new things. That’s been one of our mottos since our big move to the U.P.
THEN (November 12, 2011) – Alex joined Cub Scouts this year and now on Wednesday nights, he has his pack and den meetings at 6:30, which is our usual dinner time. And it also just so happens that Wednesday night is the only weeknight when Eric isn’t at work. So, we’ve made every effort to continue a family meal on those nights even though it can get a little crazy around the house at that time.
To minimize the stress for all of us, I’ve been relying on crockpot meals or things that can simmer all day. Chili seems to be my top choice lately. But since we all like variety, I’ve been experimenting with some different kinds. This Chicken Enchilada Chili has definitely been our favorite so far. It’s spicy, but in a subtle way so that the kids enjoyed it just as much as the adults.
This is definitely an easy meal that is a little different from my norm since it relies on canned enchilada sauce. Although I make homemade red enchilada sauce, I’ve never attempted a homemade green sauce, partially because I always have a difficult time finding tomatillos. If you have a good homemade sauce recipe though, I’d definitely recommend using that! (And if you do have a good recipe, I’d love if you’d share it with us!)
Chicken Enchilada Chili
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6 oz can diced fire-roasted green chilies, not drained
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 2 14 oz cans green Enchilada sauce
- 2 15 oz cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup diced cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp corn meal
- Additional garnish: shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in diced green chilies and liquid.
- Add chicken to pot and pour in the stock, enchilada sauce and beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer at least 30-45 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. (Or simmer all day, if you want.)
- Remove chicken and shred or dice. Return to the pot along with the salt, pepper and 1/3 cup cilantro. Stir to combine then stir in cornmeal just until thickened.
- Garnish individual bowls of chili with shredded cheese, sour cream and extra cilantro, as desired. Serve with tortilla chips.