Is it obvious yet that we love muffins around our house? I love them because I can make them ahead of time and they’re so versatile. There is no end to the kinds of muffins you can make. And the kids love them because, well…because they’re good.
These muffins are especially good with the cream cheese frosting. The kids felt like they were having cupcakes for breakfast.
This recipe will make 2 dozen muffins. You can easily halve it if you just want one dozen though. For me, I figured if I was going to do all the work of grating carrots, I might as well get a lot of muffins for the work.
Carrot Raisin Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup raisins + 1 c. boiling water
- 3 cup flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 34 cup applesauce (you can use any combination of the oil and applesauce that you want.)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 carrots, grated
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place the raisins in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Stir in oil, applesauce and vanilla until combined. Drain the raisins and add to the bowl. Add the carrots and mix. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes, until browned and fully baked.
For the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese, butter or margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla together until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Frost muffins once they are fully cooled. Store in the refrigerator.
Before you go, please click over here to pick up a free copy of The Frugal Kitchen ebook which I just finished putting together. I’d also love your input on a new Stolen Moments Menu Planning service that I’m getting ready to roll out. Thanks!
Stop by Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace and Tasty Tuesday and Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. And then stop by Hooked On Houses for more Hooked On…