NOW (January 18, 2019) – These Buffalo Chicken Puffs are an awesome appetizer for Friday or Saturday nights!
After all these years, we’ve maintained our tradition where Eric and I have a date-night-at-home once a week. Currently, and for about the past 6 years or so, this has been on Friday nights. The kids have a fun dinner and then settle in to watch some TV or a movie together. Meanwhile, Eric and I make our own special dinner. For years this meant he’d make himself a hamburger and I’d have some frozen Jalapeno Poppers. We both loved our Friday night dinner selections and happily ate the same thing year after year. Until a few weeks ago, that is.
For some reason, we both all of a sudden hit a wall with our usual Friday night dinner. We both decided it was finally time to find some different dinners for ourselves.
So, that’s kind of a long way to say that these are a perfect option for either the kids or for us on Friday nights. The bites are small enough that they can be piled on a paper plate and eaten on the couch – even if you’re a clumsy, 14-year old boy!
THEN (January 5, 2011) – My Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti is one of our favorite meals. We all love the creamy texture and the spicy bite. It’s the same reason why we love the dip that recipe was based off of. I wanted to take that same taste and come up with another option. And since we love appetizers and finger food, I thought that would be a good way to go.
These Buffalo Chicken Puffs would make a perfect addition to a line-up of appetizers on Superbowl Sunday. Although we don’t usually do much for the Superbowl, our family does watch the game (and those commercials!) and we try to make it a fun event for everyone. Serving up a big spread of appetizers is my favorite way to do that.
Do you entertain for the Superbowl or watch it while munching on some snacks and apps? It will be here before we know it! These days just seem to be flying by, at least for me!
Buffalo Chicken Puffs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tsp yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cup flour
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or any other cut of chicken you prefer)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce, more or less to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- For serving: Celery sticks and Ranch or Bleu Cheese dressing, if desired
- Pour the warm water into a large mixing bowl and stir in the yeast and sugar. Let sit until foamy, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the oil, salt and 1 cup flour until combined. Continue adding and mixing in the flour until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Knead (or beat with a dough hook in a mixer) for an additional minute. Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook in the microwave until fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes. Or, bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until fully cooked. Cool completely and refrigerate until using.
- Beat together the softened cream cheese and hot sauce until smooth. Cube or shred the cooled chicken and stir in to the cream cheese mixture. Adjust the amount of hot sauce used per your tastes. Refrigerate until using.
- Roll out the dough on a well floured surface. Cut into circles with a small biscuit cutter or juice glass. Place about a teaspoon of the buffalo chicken filling in the center of each circle and fold the dough over to close. Press to seal lightly. Place the finished puffs on a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter and brush over each puff. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown. If desired, serve with celery sticks and Ranch or Bleu Cheese dressing for dipping.