I really love the versatility of a good brownie recipe. My ditch-the box brownie recipe has taken many forms over the years. When I wanted to make brownies earlier this week, I really wanted something different. So I decided to try making brownie pie with my basic recipe. I didn’t make any variations to the original recipe and they turned out great.
Since the brownies were in pie shape, I decided to dress them up a bit with a simple vanilla butter cream, some strawberries and some mini chocolate chips. I think next time I’ll use even more fruit.
The best thing about making the brownies this way is that it makes two – perfect for sharing with a neighbor or friend!
Brownie Pie with Vanilla Butter Cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk
- Heat sugar and butter in a medium pot over low heat until butter is completely melted, stirring often. Remove from heat, stir in 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips until melted, and let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, briefly whisk the eggs. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of chocolate mixture to the eggs and stir to combine, just to temper the eggs. Then pour all of eggs into the pot with the melted chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Stir in flour, vanilla and baking soda until well blended. Pour into two greased 9 inch pie plates and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- While the brownies cool, beat together butter or margarine and powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla and milk and continue beating until fluffy.