Here is a recipe in which I break all of my own rules. Hey, sometimes a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. And I think having the in-laws while making a big dinner qualifies for a little rule-bending on the dessert front.
So, this recipe has many of my usual off limits ingredients. But let me tell you, that did not keep it from being delicious. Not at all!
These black forest bars have all the great taste of a black forest cake with none of the work. They are moist, chocolately and just filled with cherry goodness.
Black Forest Bars
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cans cans cherry pie filling
- 1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, eggs, extract, chocolate chips and 1 can cherry pie filling. Stir until thoroughly combined. Pour into a greased 13×9 inch casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until fully cooked. Cool.
- Once bars are cooled completely, spread whipped topping on top. Then pour the remaining can of cherry pie filling on top of that. Refrigerate until serving or serve immediately.