Last Updated on
I first learned about haystacks a few years ago and I was instantly smitten. First of all, I love do-it-yourself meals like that where I can just set out several different bowls and let everyone build their perfect meal. Secondly, the meal is so versatile! I’ve seen haystacks written about at least a dozen times and every time, each meal is a little different. So when you combine both those points, how can you go wrong?
Since anything covered in barbecue sauce is always a huge hit at our house, I think these BBQ haystacks are my favorite version. Each step comes together quickly and can be made in stolen moments. I like to prepare everything as I have time, with the exception of the rice. Then, while the rice cooks just before we eat, I warm up everything and get it out on the table. It just couldn’t get easier.
The day I made this meal pictured here, I was out of corn, which is one of my favorite ingredients to serve as a topping option. So I made a quick substitution and used sliced carrots instead. It turned out to be a great addition, although I personally still prefer corn. Feel free to use whichever you want.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce (or 1 1/2 c. homemade barbeuce sauce)
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cup frozen corn (or sliced carrots)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cup rice
- Place the chicken breasts in a casserole dish and pour the barbecue sauce on top. Cover dish and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Shred or dice chicken. Set aside or keep warm until serving.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon and onions. Cook until bacon is desired crispiness and onions are tender. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add corn (or carrots) to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, until crisp tender.
- Cook rice according to directions on the package.
- Serve individual toppings and rice so that each person can build their own haystack to their liking. Enjoy!