It seems I am always desperate for new breakfast and lunch ideas. Although I have a ton of recipes for both meals in my repertoire, I always want something new. It doesn’t matter if we eat something different for lunch every day for a month, I’ll still feel like we’re eating the same thing every day.
So, when inspiration hits, I tend to run with it.
I’ve already sung my muffin-praises in the past. But what about savory muffins? Hmm…that idea had instant appeal for me because it’s different from our norm but still in the same muffin-shaped package that I love. Not to mention it would go great for either breakfast or lunch.
And what better to add to a savory muffin than bacon and cheese? Seemed like a no-brainer to me!
Bacon and Cheese Muffins
- 4 cup flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb bacon, diced, cooked and degreased
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, melted butter or margarine and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in the bacon and cheese just until combined. Scoop into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.